Second Time Submission

One couple's journey to happiness from Top to Bottom

Friday, June 17, 2011

Because of the Carpenters......

We are FINALLY home....thank goodness!  I'm ready for things to get back to normal.  I'm ready to get back into our routine.

Our trip home was almost 13 hours.  I have to say, I love riding on long trips with K.  It gives us time to talk...and talk we did....about everything.  Life, love, TTWD, the kids, our upcoming move, his childhood, my childhood, etc. etc.  I love that time together.  Not only do I like the talk, but I love the silence....the comfortable silence....we're just riding along each lost in our own thoughts and he'll reach over and stroke my arm, or hold my hand....sigh......

We like to play a game where each of us tries to name the artist singing the song on the radio.   He kills me in country and 70's....I steamroll him in 80's and R&B.   It's a lot of fun to reminisce and sing along to all the music.  So, we're rolling along singing and laughing and all of a sudden, K blurts out, "Why do you love me?" 

"Huh? Seriously?"

"Yeah, why do you love me so much? I can tell you do"

So all these thoughts and reasons go flowing through my head....because you are the man I've always looked for, because you would kill for me, because you make me feel safe and secure, because you're the smartest man I know, because you know what I need, when I need it and how to give it to me......but I've told him all this before...

Then, it happened....an old Carpenter's love song came on.....and K started singing it.  My huge, hulk of a man who's forearms are bigger than my thighs...who can wilt most people with just a look....who never lets anyone see him sweat....took my hand and started singing that sappy, cheesy, totally wonderful love song to me.....

My heart almost burst.....I love this man.... this.possessive, proud, opinionated, obstinate, boorish, bigger-than-life man.....who sings the Carpenters.......sigh.

9 comments:

  1. Sweetness! Don't you love it when they just melt ya? It's always unexpected times too.
    When I read your post title I thought you must be doing a remodel on your house and the carpenters were in your way! Ha! I really did..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stormy, you just kill me!! That is too funny...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That gave me goose bumps! SO sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steel Rose and Sara- Thank you ladies! Will you please remind me of this post the next time I'm completely frustrated and venting??? Lol, thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so sweet :). I melt all over when Christopher sings. It's spell binding.

    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ella...there's something so, so sweet about it, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for letting us in on that. That's the kind of moment everyone should have. I suppose that's the magic of The Carpenters. They put into song and words those sappy, cheesy, but essential feelings of loving someone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rich, I haven't quite figured out the appeal of the Carpenters.....they kind of grow on you (like fungus...)...:)

    ReplyDelete