Second Time Submission

One couple's journey to happiness from Top to Bottom

Thursday, July 21, 2011

So Far Away from Me

Greetings from beautiful Minnesota.  While the rest of the nation is gripped in 100+ degree heat wave...I awoke to beautiful blue skies and 75 degrees....ahhhh...heavenly.

The only thing missing from this pic is my K.  I headed north to the Land of the Lakes...and he headed south to The Big Easy.  We decided we couldn't be any futher apart north to south if we tried.  It's been a long time since we've been this far apart for any length of time....and I don't like it!  When we first started dating, we would be lucky to see each other for a couple days every month.  Now, I'm counting the days until we are both back home.

It's amazing how much we take  the little things in life that make us happy for granted.  Falling to sleep next to each other, reaching out in the middle of the night for that reassuring pat, waking in the morning to kisses on the neck (or better places...wink, wink).  I know they say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I think mostly that is true.  But only in the physical sense.

Even though we are 1000 miles apart physically, I feel really good about how close we are emotionally.  I know couples who can be in the same room and still be 1000 miles apart.  TTWD has brought that closeness back into our life.  We talk and communicate better than we ever have.  We are learning to work through our problems without stony silence, yelling, etc. We take each other's feelings and needs into account.  We anticipate problems ahead of time and try to brainstorm compromises.

We are far from perfect, believe me.  We had a huge blow up the night before I left.  But it was silly and short lived.  We had another misunderstanding as soon as I got here, but I'm pretty sure we can chalk that up to anxiety and 13 hours of driving.  But we are learning about each other and ourselves each and every day.  I know this wouldn't have happened without Dd in our lives.

So even though we are separated by thousands of miles of highway...he's tucked tightly into my heart and mind. I'll still be glad when we're home again.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got it sorted out. I happen to be separated by an ocean from someone...so I suppose it could be worse!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet...and I'm slightly green with envy about your gorgeous weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that has got to be hard! I'm so sorry! But have a fabulous time! That's cool that it's nice weather! I woke up to 55 degrees and...rain. At least the weekend here will be in the high seventies, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby,
    Ugh...an ocean? You're right, it could be ALOT worse..and it's only until next week. Thanks for the reminder!

    Ashley,
    I'll be returning to the heat soon enough.

    Kay,
    I am having a great time with my kids and extended family. The heat index at home was 122 degrees!!! sheesh....

    Sara,
    :)............

    ReplyDelete